This Fellowship is supported by the UK’s Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) and forms one part of the Education Research in Conflict and Protracted Crisis Bilateral Research Chair award.
The UNESCO Chair in Education for Peace-building and Human Rights at Ulster University, Professor Kelsey Shanks, has been awarded a British Academy grant entitled the ‘Political Economy of Education in Iraq’. The project seeks to develop a rigorous research agenda on the politics of education in conflict affected countries in the Middle East, promote the exchange of ideas between regional researchers and implement a strategic plan for capacity exchange between the partner universities of Ulster and Koya University in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq.
The candidate will be expected to spend extended periods at the University of Koya (Iraq) throughout the project.
- To develop and carry out an original piece of research within the framework of the project.
- To participate in weekly project meetings.
- To present project research findings in the form of sole- and co-authored publications, conference and workshop presentations, blog posts and other outputs.
- To conduct seminars and workshops to translate their research into teaching.
- To manage own research and project activities and actively engage with the vibrant research community surrounding the project.
- Be prepared to travel in connection with the needs of the project.
- Contribute to teaching where required
- Any other duties appropriate to the grade and nature of the post.
This is a two-year full time fellowship (starting January 2023). The fellow will be employed by the Ulster University but will be expected to spend extended periods at the University of Koya throughout the project.
Applications must be made via the British Academy Flexigrant system using the following link:
You will need to register for an account on Flexigrant before you can complete the application form.
Please read our Candidate Briefing document thoroughly. Applicants must meet all essential criteria for this position.
Applications must be submitted by 5pm on Friday 2nd December.